CV and I have been back and forth about whether to have a buffet vs. a seated dinner for our wedding.
Initially, CV wanted to go one way, and I wanted to go with the other.
But fortunately we came to an agreement! :)
Can't decide whether to have a buffet-style dinner or a seated dinner?
Here are some pros and cons to both:
- Offers lots of variety and allows guests to serve themselves as much food as they like
- Offer more flexibility for guests with special dietary needs
- Provides natural opportunities for guests to interact in an informal way
- Paying less on service staff
- The food service can be a little chaotic and people can end up waiting a while to eat if certain guests tak a lot of time to choose their dishes and hold up the queue.
- If the catering team isn't on its toes, food can run out quickly or get cold.
- No arranged seating, some guests who don't know anyone might end up sitting and eating alone
- It can be a little tricky trying to balance plates, silverware and a drink. Not to mention, if children are attending your wedding, parents will have to wander through buffet lines at least twice to fill their kids' plates and then their own
- Seated dinners are undeniably elegant. With everyone being served in perfect synchronicity, dinner is the perfect time for the bridal party and parents to make toasts
- Since everyone is having their dinner at the same time, the bride and groom can actually get a chance to eat too
- A seated dinner means that everyone already has an assigned seat. So, guests won’t feel awkward wondering where they can sit, and who to sit next to
- The food service is easy to organise and execute
- Seated dinners take up a lot more work, time and effort to coordinate. There is a larger margin for error
- You need a lot more servers for a seated dinner, and it will cost more than a buffet
- Your guests might not necessarily like or be able to eat what you have chosen for the menu
- Seating charts are difficult to arrange, and can be destroyed when there are no-shows or unexpected guests
Can you guess which one we picked???
If you are a wedding guest, what dinner option is the most appealing to you?