Wednesday, December 18, 2013

WIWW: Bridal Edition (and how much my wedding dress cost)

500 blog posts later...I'm finally to my very last wedding post!! 

Blogging all about my engagement, wedding day and honeymoon has been a blast! Sharing these moments with all of you and having a special place to put my wedding thoughts has been wonderful.  But it's finally come...my very LAST wedding post.
But I saved the best for last...WHAT I WORE (and how much it cost)!


 I really wanted to share how much all my wedding-day-attire costs because I wanted to prove to everyone that you don't have to break the bank when you're a bride. One of the hardest things for me as a bride was the budget because I had no idea how much some things cost. I asked alot of friends: some spent $1k on a dress, some spent $3k. Some did their own makeup, some spent a few hundred. There were so many highs and lows, so I had NO IDEA how to budget my wedding day attire.

All I knew is that I wanted to be ME! I love a good deal, I love shopping sale racks. So why would what I wear to my wedding be any different.  I could have easily rearranged my budget and completely supported the idea of purchasing a $3k dress, but that's just not ME. I'm super practical when it comes to clothing, and as I stated before...I love a good deal. So, off to the sale racks I went.

DRESS:
Remember how I found my dress??? Well, I left out a major part of the story...and that's the price. (Hold on to your chairs, friends.) My wedding dress was originally $1100, but I bought it off the rack at an annual close-out sale for $105.44!! That's $99+ tax and 90% OFF the original price!!!
(Did you fall out of your chairs???)
Now do you wonder why I bought my dress so quickly?? And yes, I did buy it because it was the best deal I've ever seen...but I also did LOVE it and still do. Even if I didn't find a deal on a dress, I probably would have ended up with one that looks just like this.

ALTERATIONS:
Since I bought off the rack, my dress was about 2 sizes too big, so alterations were definitely needed. I still went to a budget-friendly alterations place that my friend recommended. My alterations cost $287.55. (Also, when you buy off-the-rack, you want to clean your dress. I had mine steam-cleaned from the alterations person for $89, which was included in the total price above.!)

UNDERGARMENTS:
I had bra cups sewn into my dress, and I also had her add a few layers of fabric for the skirt, so I wouldn't have to wear another skirt (included in the cost of alterations). So all I had to purchase were some seamless VS undies. $12

VEIL: 
My veil cost more than my dress....and worth every penny. $255.60. Sure I could have found a cheaper one, but I was honestly in love with a cathedral length one that cost $800, so the fact that I found another one that was $255.60 that I equally loved, sounded like a deal to me! And I love the thought of passing it down to my future daughter one day! So it was worth the price.

CEREMONY SHOES:
I am in LOVE with my wedding shoes. They were Vince Camuto and super comfortable!! I could have gone cheaper in this area...but if you know me...you know I love shoes! :) $120

RECEPTION SHOES:
And I bought some reception shoes for dancing at my favorite company, TOMS of course!!
It was worth having comfortable shoes to dance in...and since I bought wedges, my dress didn't drag on the ground!! $75

EARRINGS:
My earrings were a gift from Meg at Meg's Wedding Jewelry. They went perfectly with my dress and I'm so thankful that Meg was sweet enough to offer them to me. FREE

BRACELET:
My bracelet was a gift from Mariell! Mariell is an AMAZING wedding company. I have a great relationship with the owner who supplied me with a beautiful bracelet to wear on my wedding day. FREE

BROOCH (on bouquet): 
Another gift from Mariell was this beautiful brooch I attached to my bridal bouquet! I was amazed at how perfectly it matched my earrings! FREE
HAIR COMB: 
I wore a beautiful gold flower comb in my hair after I took my veil off. My hair comb was compliments of the sweet people at Hair Comes the BrideFREE

CLUTCH: 
My clutch was my "something borrowed" from my mom. It was a gorgeous vintage gold purse that I adore! FREE

Since I saved so much money on my dress and my accessories...I kinda splurged in a few other areas.
But if you're on a budget, do it yourself to save some money!
Hair: Hair style and Hair trial - $190 (includes tip)
Hair Extensions: (yes I wore them!!) - $135
Makeup: Makeup application and a Makeup Trial with Brideface - $275 (includes tip)
I also got a manicure/pedicure, spray tan, and some other "bridal" things. $175

So there you have it....it cost me $1630.59 for a dress, alterations, veil, undies, two pairs of shoes, wedding jewelry, brooch, hair jewels, makeup, hair, hair extensions and getting pampered for my big day. 
A lot of brides spend more than that on JUST THE DRESS!

Hope this helps all you brides out there...somehow! :)

Thanks to all of you who followed my wedding journey and thanks for all your sweet comments along the way! You guys are amazing!! xoxo!!

22 comments:

Rachel C. said...

Wow, that's great! My dress was $1400. I wanted to spend closer to $1000 but I just loved it so much and figured this is the one and only time it's okay to really SPLURGE on an "outfit." My veil was $190.My ceremony shoes were $80 and I also got Toms! Flats, though. So another $40. I didn't get jewelry yet but after everything - hair, make up, dress and veil, shoes, jewelry, it'll probably be close to $2000. I don't feel so bad when I watch "Say yes to the dress" and some girls' budgets are $30,000 for the dress!! Ha!

Meredith said...

that's such an awesome deal! your right, my dress was easily the most expensive piece of my wedding (photographer and maybe food cost more) A friend of mine found a similar deal for her wedding dress, so its easy to do than people think!

Lindsay Colvin said...

LOVE this! You literally looked like a million bucks on your wedding day! I can so relate because I bought my wedding dress off of a sale rack, it was also a few sizes too big but only cost me $299. Alterations cost more than the actual dress!! Haha I can't believe the deal you got on your dress, it was beautiful!

P!nky said...

SO FUN to hear what you saved and splurged on! LOVE IT!

So sad wedding posts are done for you, I'm getting there soon wah :(

Kristyn said...

You win the best deal ever made! That is amazing that you could get your dress for so cheap. I love a great deal too.

And I am sad you are done with your recap posts. Sad day!

Thanks so much for linking up with us. We have loved reading all your posts!

Mary said...

Oh my goodness you did such a great job! I almost did fall out of my chair at the cost of your dress! That's amazing!!!

PS I'm so sad this is your last wedding post! It's been so fun to read about your day!

Erin LFF said...

I do love hearing about this stuff!! I'd be like you, if I found my amazing dress THAT discounted (go you!) I'd feel it totally okay to splurge on a few other items! My dress was only about $600 but then I had almost $200 worth of alterations (gag!)

My Life as A Plate said...

Omg your last wedding post, so sad! I still have not blogged about my wedding or honey moon yet! oops. What a steal your dress was and you look gorgeous!

Brianne Bracco said...

$100?!?! Amazing! Your dress is simply stunning my friend..and you a gorgy bride in it ;) And TOMS wedges for the reception? Genius! Love my TOMS.

Meredith said...

Girl you Rock with that budget!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress, it is so something I'd pick out. Great job and I SOOO thought your dress cost at least $4K

Sarah Tucker said...

What a steal! You looked gorgeous!

Lauren said...

omg! thank you for this!! I just got engaged and the idea of $$$$$ kinda is freaking me out. No longer! You were stunning...and for SUCH a reasonable budget! amazing!

Jordon said...

That's incredible! I bought mine off the rack too and it saved me SOO much money.

Loved following along on your journey!

My Kurves said...

This is such a Great post I want to link to it in my wedding blog."Wedding Party"--http://ptyme.blogspot.com. I'm visiting from I feel Pretty.Listed as My Kurves and I'll be back to read more. .
Happy Holidays.

Pamela said...

Dang, I thought I did good when we got my dress for $323! That's awesome!!

Laura {happily ever} Parker said...

That is pretty incredible! I thought I got at deal! Clearly not!

Maria G said...

You sound like me! My dress was on super clearance too and was only $50!! Can't beat that! I also spend a couple hundred on alterations, but under $500 for a dress and alterations is pretty good!

Rebeka said...

Wow I can't believe the deal you got on your dress. You looked so beautiful in it and it looks so classy and definitely not like a $100 dress (probably because it wasn't originally). Nice work! It's crazy how much everything else costs, you don't really realize how quickly all those other things add up, but they were totally worth it (especially considering the fact that most people spend that on JUST the dress) - you looked amazing!

Kayla MKOY said...

OMG. Insane! I knew you got a deal, but didn't know it was a freaking STEAL!!! Amazing!! Great job girlfriend!! My Dad purchased my dress for me to help out, and it was definitely my dream dress. I would NOT have been able to afford that sucker if it weren't for him haha!

Allison said...

I love how little you spent on your dress because no one would know it. I thought I paid a small amount for my dress (and I did) but you have me beat and you still looked amazing!!!

JMc said...

That is more than amazing for a price of a wedding dress! And not just any dress, the perfect one for you! I thought I was doing good because I saved quite a bit too but wow, that's just amazing.

Ramzan Ali said...

Such awesome suggestions! When I go shopping I usually outfits like a slob and I end up with all the issues you've described here. I discover out it awesome that I never regarded of these factors before and they seem so apparent after you've described it. Thanks bunches!